Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kitchen Tools to use: Part 2 (Fall in love with your slowcooker.)

OK, I'm devoting one blog post to one of the most useful kitchen tool I own. It is my slow cooker, yep you heard me right my slow cooker.
Whether you call it a Crock Pot, Slow Cooker, or a Multicooker it does the same thing: makes eating wholesome, healthy meals easier. I use mine two to three times a week just for meals. It is so easy to prepare a healthy meal, place it in the cooker, set it and go.
I own two slow cookers, 1 3 quart and 1 5 quart. They both have ceramic insert, my 5 quart is a little more sophisticated however. It has a timer. I use my 3 quart all the time. Whether you make a pot roast, soup, or chili this cooker makes a busy life a lot easier. I am going to share with you some of my ideas that will help you develop you very own love story.

This is my Pot Roast Chicken made in my little green machine. Can anyone say umm, yummy?

Reason #1: Slow cooking stocks. I roast my bones in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes along with vegetables, then I place cooked bones a vegetables in my slow cooker. Cover the bones with water. It is that steady heat that makes wonderful stocks, and the great thing about it is I can leave it. So if I have errands to run, I can leave it. My 5 quart works the best for my large batches.

Reason #2: Busy night dinners. I work most evenings until 7 PM. Which makes for late night dinners for me and my family. Before I go into work, I prepare my meals and by the time I get home a hot meal is waiting for me and the crew. It is also easy for me to transport dinners. My friend Annie watches my kids for me when I am working. So, I just take the slow cooker with me.

Reason #3: Helps me maintain our healthy eating patterns. My slow cookers keeps me on the healthy eating path. I hear a lot of times that life gets in the way of families eating healthy. It is easier to stop by a drive through on the way to a game or some event. Having a meal waiting for you when you get home, keeps those urges off my radar. It helps me keep the temptation at bay.
So, these are my three top reasons for investing in a slow cooker. If you don't have one, where do you find one? Most department stores carry them. Check out websites: www.rivalproducts.com, www.hamiltonbeach.com, and my favorite www.vitaclaychef.com. (One day I will own one of these).

My little green machine, making Autumn's Bounty Pork Stew.

Do your research, choose the one that suits your needs. Then plan to use it regularly, incorporate it into your meal plans. Enjoy the romance!

**Note: All the recipes that I have mentioned in previous blog posts can be found at www.eatnourishing.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment