Friday, December 30, 2011

Making the Switch, and getting the kids to like it.

Several years ago I was with my family at a wedding reception. At that time I had only 2 small children who were eating solid foods, wow that was a long time ago! The dinner was being served and the waiter asked if the children would be eating salad. I responded with a yes and place the dressing on the side. My cousin and her husband were sitting at the table with us. They had two children who were the same age. They both looked at me like I was from another planet. "How did you get them to eat salad?" my cousin asked me.
"We just keep offering it to them. We make it available to them," was my response. The salads came and after lightly dressing the salad they both devoured the leafy green goodness. In fact, my middle son asked if he could finish mine. Both my cousin and her husband just stared in disbelief.
I recalled this situation when we made the switch to a healthier eating program. I was afraid that I would have a major rebellion on my hands. In some instances I did (sourdough bread, I'll explain). My children were older now, and had developed specific eating behaviors. They liked their Kraft Mac and Cheese, Hamburger Helper, and Bisquick pancakes. They must have thought I had lost my mind, though they would never voice it. They may act upon it (again, sourdough bread).
Me and my salad-loving crew.
I am writing this blog to encourage those of you who are new to this eating program, and may be having eating issues. Hopefully my tips will encourage you and your family through this process.

Tip #1: Be truthful to your child about what they are eating. Six years ago I was visiting my in-laws, who did not eat refined flours, and we were in the process of making breakfast. This breakfast consisted of buckwheat pancakes, which looked dreadful according to my children. I hear a voice sitting at the table exclaim "EEW, What are those?" Unfortunately, my sister -in-law responded "Chocolate Pancakes." I could see my children as well as hers push their plates away with wrinkled noses, because those were the WORST Chocolate Pancakes they had ever eaten. And no amount of syrup or jelly was going to kill the taste. I did something that probably may have pissed off my sister-in-law, but I refused to lie to my children. I threw out the already made pancakes, walked over to the pancake batter, found the cocoa powder, and added a 1/4 c. to the mixture. I had to thin out the batter with more milk, but I made "Chocolate Pancakes." So when they were fried, they looked like chocolate, and tasted like chocolate. They ate them, may be not as many as they normally do, but they ate them. Lesson learned? Be honest with your children. They are not use to the texture, flavor, or consistency of traditional foods. By being honest with them they develop a trust with you.
Tip#2 Three bite rule. My youngest son's favorite line when he does not like something is, "I'm not hungry." He is my pickiest eater, and because of this we have incorporated the Three-Bite Rule. They need to take three bites of the said offending food item. First bite helps them get over their aversion. Second bite helps them test the waters, and third bite determines the like dislike factor. By bite three, he finds he normally he likes it or at least will tolerate it.

This Mr. Picky. He's too cute.
Tip#3 Make the food available. When  introducing new foods, make the foods available. What I mean is let the children help. Have them help them prepare foods. Teach them the process. Let them pick fruits and veggies. If you have a garden let them pick what to grow. My daughter learned about gardening in her first grade class last year. We have always had a small garden, but this last year was different. We had volunteer squash appear. They came from seeds that were in the compost, and they sprouted. I was going to thin out the patch that had started, and this little voice shouted "NO, Don't!"
I turned and looked at her and said, "If you want all them, you will have to take care of them."
To make a long story short after a summer of watering and caring from them we had over 100 squashes! She proudly gave them to friends and teachers. She also learned to eat squash. We ate it in soup, roasted, and risotto. She loved every bite of it. Knowing that she grew it, took care of it, and loved it made the eating of it all the more fun.
The squash-grower extraordinaire.
Final Tip#4 Sourdough. This is a tip all of its own, and I saved it for last. The biggest reaction to traditional food process was the hugely negative reaction to sourdough. I love it, but the kids disliked it immensely. I mean they would throw out their sandwiches at school. They would rather eat extra veggies or fruit, which they packed in their lunch, than a sourdough sandwich.
So one day I asked, "Why don't you like sourdough bread?" There were several responses almost in unison. "It's dry. It's crumbly. It's heavy." Based on the criticisms I began the recipe process. I added more oil or eggs to improve the texture. They now eat sourdough in everything. They now like pancakes, waffles, and pizza crust. By letting them play food judge, they feel in control of what they eat. You also teach them to eat healthy. However, their are days I feel like I am the TV show "Chopped."
I hope this gives you some words of encouragement, especailly with children who aren't use to eating traditional foods. Let them be become a part of your experience. They will appreciate all that you are doing for them, and they will be active in their own health.

5 comments:

  1. Your children are very blessed that you care enough to make the change to a healthier lifestyle. Our "real food" journey had an interesting outcome. While we always ate well, we still had our share of processed foods. We have been on real foods for a while, and this pregnancy, (I am three years older than the previous, and it is my seventh, so the "experts" say it should have been harder) was the easiest so far, and my delivery recovery was very quick and easy. Could be anything, but the food is the only positive change that was made, while much of the rest of our world crumbled around us. We're on the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "baby" is now 28, so obviously there will be no more children for me. I never did use processed foods for us, but did not know about good fats, soaking grains, and such. I wish I had! We have 6 children, all born healthy and breastfed. I did the best I could and that I knew at the time. You are so blessed! I wonder if I had known then what I know now if we could have avoided the braces two of our children required.

      Delete
  2. We started this switch 6 years ago. Marcus my middle son was experiencing chronic ear and sinus infections. They were even talking about removing tonsils and adnoids. We made the switch to eating fresh and within 6 mos he had no more problems. He's not had to be on antibiotics since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling kids! Could you please share your sourdough bread recipe? I love sourdough (and the health benefits) but my DH does not. I am pretty expert at making whole wheat bread, but the sourdough... that's another story. I love your description of winning your children over to healthier food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be sharing my sourdough recipe in my next blog. I am finishing up my blog on yogurt and buttermilk.I hope that helps. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete